Youth 11-17, get ready for the adventure of a lifetime! Los Angeles Maritime Institute’s summer camp aboard Tall Ships is an exciting 3-day or 5-day voyage to Catalina Island. Discover the beautiful Southern California coast in a way that most people never experience. While at sea and on the island, we will explore topics in marine biology, maritime history, island ecology and have some fun with traditional Maritime arts! This is one of the most memorable summer camps in Southern California!
Learn the ropes of sailing a large vessel as you challenge yourself with exciting new opportunities. We encourage our campers to become part of the crew as we set sail to and from Catalina Island. Make new friends, eat great food, listen to the sound of the sea, and gaze at the stars at night. Then hit the island for some unforgettable fun!
Our camps are offered aboard all of our vessels: the twin brigantines Irving Johnson and Exy Johnson, and new this year Los Angeles Maritime Institute has added the 140′ schooner American Pride to our fleet! Camp trips depart from Long Beach and San Pedro, California and visit one or more harbors off the coast of Catalina depending on weather and sea conditions.
DATES and PRICES
2019 5-Day Camp Dates
June 24-28 July 8-12 July 15-19 July 22-26 July 29-Aug 2 Aug 12-16 Aug 19-23
$600 per child
2019 3-Day Camp Dates
June 28-30 July 14-16 July 19-21 July 29-31 Aug 4-6
$300 per child
Bring a sibling or friend and Enjoy 10% Off
For more information or to book a spot for your child email us at email@example.com or call our office at 310-833-6055.
Parents- please supervise your child’s packing, all too often we have campers who have forgotten items that are necessary for their comfort and enjoyment.
Things to bring:
- Sleeping bag/pillow/blanket
- Sleeping pad if sleeping on deck
- Jacket (warm)
- Long pants and shorts
- Long and short sleeve shirts
- Old sweats make great sleepwear
- Rubber-soled shoes extra pair, close-toed recommended
- Rubber-thong shower shoes or water shoes
- Hat with brim and chin tie or “keeper”
- Personal toiletries
- Reading material
- Digital Camera
- Snorkel/Fins/Mask/Spring Suit if you wish to bring your own
- Flashlight or Headlamp, with a red light for night watch
- Day Pack with Canteen/water bottle
- Log Book/Journal
- Favorite Snacks (if you wish)
- Reusable laundry bag for packing home
- Fishing Pole and Tackle (depending on anchorage)
- Sea Sick medicine (Ginger candies, Bonine or Non-drowsy Dramamine, start the night before)
- Prescription Medicines (if any)
- Quarters for showers on shore (not all anchorages have shower facilities)
You may not bring:
Gum, hard-soled shoes, electronic games, cell phones, pagers, anything in glass, valuables, anything Electric
Please note! We do not provide bedding and you must bring your own. You must bring gear aboard in a soft Duffel or similar bag – hard luggage is unmanageable aboard a tall ship.
Remember to clearly label your personal items!